Howdy! I’m Katie — writer, adventurer, and storycatcher. Welcome to my blog.
I believe an incredible thing happens when we pause to celebrate our stories. IT GIVES US MEANING. The ordinary starts to feel downright awesome.
That’s why I help people capture memories and express themselves by writing their stories in my line of eco-friendly writing prompt journals. This award-winning business, Gadanke, is my dream come true.
Making This Home is my personal blog where I focus on how my German-born husband, Martin, and I are crafting our handmade life. Tsh Oxenrider, creator of Simple Mom, describes us perfectly. We’re “DIY inspiration that’s rooted in the heart.”
Our biggest DIY projects have been the place where we live. Home isn’t a precise location or a specific type of structure. That’s a house. I think home is whatever you make it.
When I started blogging in 2008, our home was Berlin, Germany. We were doing this:
You can read about our small kitchen remodel here.
Later Martin taught me how to fly an airplane. We lived in the suburbs of Denver, then a house made of tires. Now we’re settling into rural Montana life in an old airplane hangar that we’re remodeling.
My goal is to provide a guidepost on how a life of adventure and constant transition can be so awesome. You’ll find tutorials, handmade projects, challenges, tips for simpler and greener living, and lots of storycatching.
This is my philosophy on blogging.
For you. For fun:
- Favorite post: How to live an authentic, prolific life
- Biggest personal challenge: Not buying clothes for 2+ years
- Best tips for people moving to Germany: An Expat’s Guide to Life in Germany
- Biggest secrets for an awesome life: 5 Reasons We Love Living Small; Thoughts on fear
- Guilty pleasure: making homemade graham crackers and marshmallows for s’mores
- Summer tradition: dropping bowling balls from airplanes
Please email Katie for all press, wholesale inquiries, licensing, blog sponsorship, or journal and writing projects.